Pages

Friday, 1 November 2013

How to Travel for (Almost) Free with Workaway.info

When I first decided that I was going to travel long term, I knew I had to come up with some way to live as cheaply as possible. I also knew that the three biggest costs would be flights and transport, accommodation and food.

Image via Workaway


There's no way out of paying for flights, trains and taxi's, regardless of how many air miles or cheap deals you get, you'll always need to pay, at least a little, to get from A to B.

At first I looked into doing a TEFL course, thinking that I would definitely need to make money while on the road, although I still want to do TEFL, it can be a bit pricey and there's no guarantee that you'll actually get a job. Then, somehow, I found out about workaway.info.

The point of workaway.info is to allow people to travel for almost free in exchange for a small amount of work.

The site hosts listings of employers, charities and ordinary people looking for au pairs, gardeners and cultural exchanges. Work is typically five hours a day, five says a week, in exchange for free room and board.

Image via Workaway


There's listings from all over the world, in almost every country, across a range of job options. There's everything from working on a chocolate farm in Costa Rica, or in a hostel in Barcelona to helping on an art project in Kenya.

In order to contact the 'hosts' you need to sign up as a 'volunteer'. You can either sign up on your own, which costs €22 for two years, or you can sign up as a couple, costing €29 for two years.

I'm currently working at a little guesthouse in Dahab, Egypt, which I found through the site. It's amazing, it literally means your cost of living can be almost nothing, and you can do a bunch of super fun and random things all over the world. 




2 comments:

  1. you dont travel for free with workaway....you stay at a venue in return for work.. you find your own way pay your own travel and visa cost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is exactly why I said ALMOST free, and then mentioned the joining fee and the fact that you still need to pay for transport. Did you even bother to read the post?

      Delete